When are you most likely going to face temptation?
Wayde Goodall answered in an article, that we are most likely to face temptation in the event:
· 81% - When you have not spent much time with God
· 57% - When you have not had enough rest
· 45% - When life is difficult
· 42% - During times of change
· 37% - After a significant spiritual victory
· 30% - When life is going smoothly
He draws the example of Job. Job's commitment stemmed from:
1. Job’s covenant:
“I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a girl.” Job 31:1
Job made up his mind that he was going to control lust in his life.
2. Job’s awareness:
“Does he not see my ways and count my every step?” Job 31:4
His awareness of God’s presence and God's knowledge of all his actions and thoughts motivated him to say, “I’d give up anything to keep God’s presence in my life.”
God counts your every step—minute by minute, day by day, year by year.
3. Job’s Commitment:
“If my heart has been led by my eyes, or if my hands have been defiled, then may others eat what I have sown, and may my crops be uprooted.” Job 31:7-8
Job was so committed in the area of lust-free living that he said to God; “If I blow it in this area, take everything away from me.”
Wayde further outlined six steps to control lust:
1. Be honest with yourself—own up to any problems you have and admit
2. Don’t feed your lust in any way, e.g. magazines, movies, television, telephone, “cyber-porn”.
Carnegie Mellion University found that 98.9% of cyber-porn (on-line) users are men.
3. Divert your attention when you are tempted (a hobby or activity that you can turn your thoughts to)
4. Don’t rationalize and say that lust is not a big deal—lust in your heart is wrong. You don’t have the right to take anyone to bed with you in your imagination.
5. Remember how others have failed—let it scare you.
6. Think about why you are struggling in this area - is it because you let yourself get involved in sexual conversations with other guys? Is it because you watch the wrong TV programs, look at the wrong videos, or go to the wrong movies? If you think about it, it will be easy to understand why you are struggling.