Sunday, September 27, 2009

Feeling Inadequate?

Jeremiah’s Call and First Visions (Jeremiah 1:4-10 NLT)

4 The Lord gave me this message:

5 “I knew you before I formed you in your mother’s womb.

Before you were born I set you apart

and appointed you as my prophet to the nations.”

6 “O Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young!”

7 The Lord replied, “Don’t say, ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. 8 And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!” 9 Then the Lord reached out and touched my mouth and said,

“Look, I have put my words in your mouth!

10 Today I appoint you to stand up

against nations and kingdoms.

Some you must uproot and tear down,

destroy and overthrow.

Others you must build up

and plant.”

This passage in Jeremiah 1 on Jeremiah’s call also reminds me of my own situation.

Being called to preach in church as a lay leader at age 35 years old, sometimes I must say I really feel inadequate. Although it is a small church, I still do feel the inadequacy, but yet, if we were to wait for the “right” time, the moment may never arrive. Our feelings of inadequacy may cripple us. When will we ever be ready, if we were to wait for the right recipe, the right formula, as judged according to our own timing?

If God says can, who am I to say can’t? That’s why knowing that I am known is important. Knowing who I belong to, gives me a sense of confidence to move forward.

No comments:

Phrase Search/Concordance

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)

The Christian Post RSS Feed - most popular