Thursday, September 24, 2009

Finishing what You Have Started

11 Now you should finish what you started. Let the eagerness you showed in the beginning be matched now by your giving. Give in proportion to what you have. 12 Whatever you give is acceptable if you give it eagerly. And give according to what you have, not what you don’t have. (2 Cor 8:11-12, NLT)

I am drawn to the word “finish”, or in some translation “to complete”. It is often easy to start something, to promise something, but to complete, needs perseverance.

Everyone can start a new project, a new blog, a new decision, a new resolution, but how many can follow through til completion.

Along the road, there may be many obstacles, many challenges, many things that distract us from the important things of our lives.

I need to remind myself of important things to me:
1. God - is my relationship with Him affected?
2. Family - is my relationship with my family members taken its tolls due to my busyness in the workplace, being too ambitious, being wanting to do too many things that distract me from my real focus.
3. Then only it comes to my work.

And that’s when we need to depend on the Lord, rather than on ourselves. We need to go to Him daily. I find it impossible to live the Christian life on my own strength.

In verse 12, “give according to what you have…”, in other words, if we have not first received from Him, how can we give? The giving of course, could means more than just financial giving. It could also means giving of our time, our talent, our attention. Have I first received from Him?

No comments:

Phrase Search/Concordance

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)

The Christian Post RSS Feed - most popular